Here we go.....




Saturday, June 11, 2011

Meal Planning

I was sickly for a couple of days this week. Not really ill, but just ran down and puny. My Mom took my DD for a little extra time so I could work more and fed her for me. I ate through a bowl of rice in 2 days. So I have a lot of stuff leftover from last week.

What I have to work with (off the top of my head, I know there is more...)
Dry: stale-ish bread, rice, noodles, shaped pastas, flour, oatmeal, Irish oats, hominy, several kinds of dried beans, tons of chickpeas, coffee, creamer, flavored tea bags, tons of organic stock and organic mac and cheese
Jarred/canned: spaghetti sauce & pineapple chunks
Frozen: chicken breast, a pack of sausages, 1 pd of GB, 1 pack of chicken legs, 2 packs of white fish, some bread rounds and mystery aluminum foiled items.
Produce: 4 peaches, 4 pears, 2-3 apples, 3-4 squash, 6 onions
Cold: just condiments and half a bottle of diet coke (I try to eat my fridge up every week to throw less stuff away)

What I bought....
2 Cherry 7ups for $1 (on sale and I had a coupon)
milk - $3.59
Apple Juice - $1.99
2 bags of Doritos, $2.98 (on sale and I had a coupon for $1 off of 2...I hope to hide one of these for next week - chips are my weakness)
2 pds of red grapes - $2.53
7 peaches - $2.34 (on sale 99cent pp)
1 pound bag of mini carrots - $1 (on sale!)
mustard - 89 cents
black tea - $1.17 (This is the first time I've ever bought off brand tea. It was almost half of the cost of Tetley, my preferred brand. Then I started thinking, isn't tea just a dried leaf? So I bought it lol)
1 pack of large flour tortillas - $1.09
10 ounces of ham - $2.79
2 pounds of block cheese - $5.98
ranch dressing - free with promo coupon
doz eggs - free with promo coupon
2 pds Jimmy dean sausage - $6
Total with tax - $36.18

This week is low meat. I wish I had bought more sausage to put in the freezer because that is a good price for my preferred brand. I saw chicken breast bone in for 99 cents but I still have half a plastic shoe box (I put them in sandwich bags individually then put them in the shoe box for organization and to protect against freezer burn) of chicken breast. There were zero beef deals at any of our stores. Oh well, good thing neither DD or I are overly fond of red meat.

Here is my hopeful plan for the week:
Sunday - date night, my boy is going to cook me a frozen pizza while we watch a movie from redbox or netflixs. I am so proud of him. Our old dates used to be $25-35 in dinner, walking around stores (where I'd spend money on silly stuff) then going to a movie with popcorn and cokes - another $35. I think he's figured out I'd rather spent that $60-70 ever week on a vacation.

The rest of the week:
  • Perch with rice & green beans (half the bag)
  • Japanese chicken with rice, zucchini & onions and carrots
  • fish tacos with fresh salsa and peaches (the other half bag of fish)
  • chicken veggie soup with my awesome organic stock (I went to Kroger last month and they were discontinuing large cartons of organic stock (chicken, beef and veggie) for 50 cents. FIFTY CENTS! I got all of them, 12. So I need to use them up!)
  • spaghetti, garlic bread and snow peas

Does this look familiar? Yup, my Mom and my boy fed us so much last week when I was puny, all we really ate was fruit and breakfast at home. I remember making up a lot of the zucchini plus I made a few PBJ sandwiches. I realized I didn't have the ground beef for both the spaghetti and meatloaf so I let DD choose.

So that's it for the week, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment