Here we go.....




Friday, February 18, 2011

$238

I think I mentioned I've been working on my kitchen for like a year. I thought I was just replacing ugly stuff with pretty stuff. What I discovered was water damage and a lot more work.

A post or two ago I mentioned I'm trying to keep my house at a certain amount $wise. The bulk of my kitchen remodel was rolled into the original 50K that I've got in the place. So it's time to start tapping into the 20K grand remodel budget.


This is my sink! I paid $238 yesterday to have water cut off valves put in and my new sink to be installed. You can see I've really been working on the granite top too (ignore the dark spots, it was still wet). You can also see the color of the solid wood oak cabinets (minus the trim). My oak floors are a little darker but they are the same tone.

(lets digress for a minute...the person I bought these cabinets from, replaced them with maple ones...except only the doors were maple, the rest was man made wood...why..even if you don't care for the color or grain in them, would you yank out real wood and put in fake wood? Duh?)

Oak was not my first choice for cabinets. To get a real wood substitute, like maple, it was big bucks. I don't have my sheet anymore but I believe a kitchen remodel with real maple cabinets, laminate countertops, the same sink and faucet, a new stove, new microwave range unit and dishwasher was right at 12K.

You don't put 12K into a 70K house.

So my compromise:
a used stove - $100 (I had a 1960 cooktop and wall oven)
a used 3 month old microwave - $100
used cabinets - $400
granite tile countertops - $600
a new dishwasher - $400
a new sink - $200
a new faucet - $100
2 new saws plus misc pieces and parts like screws - $400
electrical outlets and wiring - $350
new copper pipes for the kitchen - $390
----------------------------------------------
I'm at about 3040 give or take a little.

I am so pleased with how it turned out, I'll post more pictures as I finish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment